Make a cat tote bag for your favorite cat lover and make another one to donate. It’s just the right size to pack up a book and a few activities to keep busy. This is an easy project for a beginner since there are no straps to make and no lining to sew. Just make sure to pick a heavy weight fabric like an upholstery fabric so the tote maintains it’s structure.
Supplies for Making a Tote Bag
- 1/3 Yard of Heavier Weight Fabric
- 30″ of Belt Strapping or Heavy 1″ Ribbon
- Fabric Scissors
- Sewing Machine
- Black Felt
- Fabric Glue
1. Cut two 12″ fabric squares from scrap. cut two rectangles for the ears. Staple pattern to scrap rectangles all around the outlines. Cut out.
2. Stitch ears 1/4″ from edge, leaving the bottom open. Clip curves and point. Turn right side out.
3. On the right side of one of the squares, pin ears upside down 5/8″ from each edge. Cut the strapping to two 15″ pieces. Pin as shown. Serge or zigzag stitch edge. Repeat with the other piece of strap and other fabric square.
4. Line up both of the squares’ right sides together. Stitch sides and bottom 1/2″ from edge, leaving the top open. Clip corners.
5. Pull the handles and the ears up and out, rolling down the top edge 1″. Press.
6. Topstitch around the opening 3/4″ from edge. Use pattern to cut the face out of felt. Attach with fabric glue.
Download our Files for the Cat Tote Bag
Where to donate DIY Cat Tote Bags
Smiles with Style provides dress up and makeovers for hospitalized children. This improves their self-esteem and gives them a fun diversion from their illness and treatments.
Domestic Shelters has an extensive list of local shelters in every state including their wish lists. Save on shipping your items and find a location near you for your donations.